Fancy Rats

  Home - Rats - Tales - Pictures - Videos - Cage - Info - Age calculator - Links - E-cards - Guestbook  

About pet rats

See also: Links to ratty websites

Rats make excellent pets, if you know how to properly take care of them. Fortunately the internet is a great resource when it comes to caring for rats. Here's a list I've compiled of semi-quotes and websites that, in a nutshell, will help you "get it on" with pet rats.

Picture  Getting rats

Read on: Your First Rats, FAQs, Rattery/dierenwinkelNL, Rattery RatcityNL, SNORNL

Picture  A cage

  • Your cage should be at least ± 80 × 50 × 80 cm (W × D × H)
  • Rats very much like to climb, so a wire cage would be ideal
  • Decorate your cage with lots of hammocks, houses, ladders, ramps, tubes, platforms, etc.
  • Don't use cedar or pine wood shavings for bedding/litter

Read on: A Home For Your Rats, Product Reviews, Cage Calculator, Rat Toy Ideas, Cage pictures<:3

Picture  Food

  • Rats need a specialized, balanced diet, which should include some meat
  • At least ±90% of everything they eat should consist of this diet, which leaves 10% for extras
  • Rats love (healthy) extras, such as vegetables, fruits, dried bread, rice, etc.
  • Avoid giving your rats treats that contain fats and sugars (e.g. yogurt drops)

Read on: What should I feed my rat?, Care Guide: Diet, RatcityvoerNL

Picture  Health

Read on: Rat Guide, The Rat SewerNL, Hospital cage<:3

Picture  General information

  • Rats are intelligent, social, and bond well with their owners
  • Rats don't see very well, but they have good hearing and excellent sense of smell
  • Rats generally live about 2 to 3 years

Read on:, Rat Behavior and Biology, TammeRatten.nlNL

© <:3 2006-2012 - RSS feeds - Site map